Lottery enthusiasts in London were given a big fat surprise when El Gordo de Navidad’s super-sized Spanish matador, dubbed ‘The Fat-ador’ rolled into town to announce that Brits are now welcome to play El Gordo de Navidad Christmas Raffle.
The Spanish Christmas Raffle has over €2.38 billion in prizes up for grabs on December 22 – and with tickets subject to availablitily on PlayUKLottery.com it will be wise to buy an El Gordo de Navidad ticket online as soon as possible.
But back to ‘The Fat-ador’ for now, who had heads turning, visiting several iconic London landmarks, including Tower Bridge and Millennium Bridge before protesting on Parliament Square and joining the changing of the guards at Buckingham Palace.
Just like the legendary lottery it represents, the larger than life matador (created by an enhanced prosthetic fat suit) spread the good news that Brits were now welcome to play and win their share of the amazing Spanish Christmas raffle.
The Fat One
Spain’s annual Christmas lottery, also known as El Gordo (The Fat One) got it’s nickname due to the amount of money which is distributed in prizes. In total, 70 per cent of the money people have spent on tickets will be distributed in prizes.
Unlike any other lottery game, you can win a prize if the last number on your ticket coincides with that of the five-digit winner to the €4 million (£3.38 million) for each of the 165 tickets with the same number in its different series, this year’s Fat One draw will see €2.3 billion (£1,95 billion) distributed around the country.
The El Gordo lottery allows users to purchase 'shares' of any five-digit number between 00001 and 99999 – this means that any number can be owned in its entirety by an individual or split between multiple people.
- El Gordo de Navidad is the Spanish Christmas Raffle
- Tickets are on sale right now at PlayUKLottery.com
- The draw takes place on December, 22.
- It takes 3 hours to draw all the winning El Gordo de Navidad numbers
- The draw takes place in front of a live audience in Madrid
- Children sing out the numbers, while the crowd chants, “Gordo, Gordo.”
- It’s the biggest and oldest lottery in the world
- The chances of winning the El Gordo main prize are 1400 times more favourable than the EuroMillions jackpot.
- The lottery has more than 14,000 prizes to win and odds of one in 100,000 – far lower than EuroMillions' one in 140 million.
- Over 1800 numbers are picked to win a prize between €1,000 (approx. £890) and €4 million (approx. £3,560,000), and even if you don’t win the El Gordo jackpot, there’s a massive 1-in-7 chance of winning a prize.